Return To Blog

Keep Your Pets Safe this Holiday Season!!

By Janine Wile - December 1, 2015

Home Life Concierge and the ASPCA has an Important Reminder for all pet parents!
With the holiday season upon us, no doubt many pet parents plan to include their furry companions in the festivities, after all it’s about family, right?  In an effort to keep our pets safe, here are some important things to remember during the holiday season:
Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations
  • Christmas Trees: Be sure to anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling.
  • ·Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Opt for artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
  • Tinsel: Kitties love this sparkly "toy" that's easy to bat around and carry in their mouth. But if swallowed, it can possibly lead to an obstructed digestive tract, vomiting, dehydration, even surgery.
  • Candles: Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock them over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
  • Wires, etc.…: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of pets reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's mouth and digestive tract.
Avoid Holiday Food Dangers
  • Sweets: By now you know not to feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol, but do you know the lengths to which a determined pet will go to eat something tasty? Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans.
  • Leftovers: Fatty, spicy and no-no human foods, as well as bones, should not be fed to your furry friends. Pets can join the festivities in other fun ways that won't lead to costly medical bills.
  • Cocktails: If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where pets can’t get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
  • Treats: Looking to stuff your pet's stockings? Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible. Long, stringy things are a feline's dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Surprise your kitty with a new ball that's too big to swallow, or a stuffed catnip toy.
Remember, if you’re concerned about leaving your furry friend home alone, especially during the holidays…Home Life Concierge offers a Pet Visits service!!  Call HLC at 702-964-9800 for a FREE consultation.
About Us
Home Life Concierge is a personal assistant and lifestyle management company based in Las Vegas, Nevada.  Designed for everyday folks, professionals, families and seniors, we are here for you and your Life’s To-Do’s.   Call HLC at 702-964-9800 for a FREE consultation.